Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Last week, the USDA announced it was replacing the food pyramid with a new plate diagram. The USDA plate gives the largest portion to vegetables, with one the same size for grains. Fruit and protein round it out in equal portions. Off to the side is dairy, represented by a circle that might be a cup of milk or yogurt. Gone is any reference to fats, oils or sweets.
Some of the other tips on the USDA's new website are:
● Enjoy your food, but eat less.
● Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
● Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
● Make at least half your grains whole grains.
● Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
● Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals and choose the foods with lower numbers.
● Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Go to http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ for more info